Friday 17 April 2015

Five Minute Salad

Think you don't have time to pack a healthy lunch for work?  With a little forward planning at your weekly shop to always have a few things on hand it's not that hard.  I like to try plan my weekly menus to have some dinner leftovers to turn into a salad for work but when I'm really pressed for time or things just don't go according to plan, this is my plan "B" basic healthy lunch that provides good fats, fibre and protein, and is packed in five minutes flat!

You need to keep in your pantry:
Small tins of wild-caught* salmon
Olive oil

And in your fridge:
Bag of pre-washed mixed lettuce/greens
Tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
Avocado

Throw two handfuls of pre-washed mixed lettuce/greens in a lunchbox.  Wash and chop the tomato and throw that in too.  If you have cherry tomatoes this step is even quicker - no chopping!  Then slice an avocado like you would a mango and squeeze the avocado pieces on top.

Pour a little olive oil in a small jar or container and pop this in the lunchbox also then refrigerate.  I always pack my lunches in the evening and don't have any issues with the avocado turning brown.  I do use air-tight lunchboxes which probably helps with that.


In the morning grab your lunchbox from the fridge, the salmon from the cupboard and pack these in an insulated bag with an ice pack.  At lunch time add the salmon to your salad, drizzle over olive oil and enjoy!

* wild-caught fish is the best option.  For information about the dangers of farmed fish read this article by Dr Axe.


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~
This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment