Wednesday 18 September 2013

Liquid Nourishment Cleanse

As part of my anniversary month I decided I was going to do a weekend liquid nourishment cleanse inspired by this post from Jessica Ainscough.  As it turned out on the Thursday before the weekend I planned to do this I got food poisoning from lunch I had out that day.  So as my system already had a pretty good clean out that evening, if you know what I mean, and I couldn't bring myself to eat a great deal on Friday, it seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do my planned cleanse and break my stomach and digestive system back in gently.


I didn't exactly follow Jessica's plan - it would take some real dedication to drink that much vegetable juice!  This is how my cleanse went:
Saturday
Lemon Water
Beet Juice - *see recipe below
Water 600ml
Chia pudding**- refer Jessica's recipe.  I usually add chopped walnuts when I make this but didn't this time to keep it more "liquid".
Water 600ml
Green smoothie which contained kale & spinach leaves from my garden, a stalk of celery including the leafy top bit, frozen mixed berries, a frozen banana, and a tsp Maca powder
Water 600ml
Soup I made with pumpkin, potato, broccoli, garlic and a little coconut milk
Green tea with a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Sunday
Lemon Water
Water 600 ml
Strawberry smoothie which contained a punnet of strawberries, pineapple, kale, spinach & coconut water
Water 600 ml
Beet Juice
Another bowl of my pumpkin soup
Water 600 ml x2
Orange rough smoothie: an orange, kale, shredded coconut, 1 tsp Maca powder, goji berries
Another bowl of my pumpkin soup
Green tea with a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice

I was reminded why I prefer to make smoothies over juicing. Juicing is so messy, particularly cleaning the juicer afterwards! And working with beetroot?  I'll just say that I recommend you don't wear white!
I have been reading about how good beetroot juice is for you and this is why I decided to try it again.  I had tried it previously as part of the detox program but apart from that I have only ever really eaten beetroot on a hamburger.  Drinking its juice is a bit of an acquired taste so if you're going to try this I suggest ensuring that your beet is small and your 3 carrots and apple are a good size to help balance the flavours. Also keep the piece of ginger very small until you get used to it. I've started making the juice a once-a-week on the weekend thing when I have a bit more time. That is, perhaps, until I can figure out a way to put beetroot in a smoothie!
*I used the Beet Juice from The Earth Diet which contains:
  • 1 small beet
  • 3 carrots
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1 small piece of ginger
  • 1 red apple
  • 1 lemon with rind
Benefits:
  • Purifying the blood
  • Increasing the body's production of glutathione, which helps the body detoxify cancer-causing poisons
  • Lowering high blood pressure
  • Cleansing the liver
  • Lifting compacted waste from the bowel walls
  • Body building that helps the creation of red blood cells
  • Accelerates weight loss
Source: The Earth Diet http://www.theearthdiet.org/
http://www.theearthdiet.org/3/post/2012/11/beet-juice.html


**Chia is the richest plant-based source of omega 3, dietary fibre, protein and antioxidants.
Source http://www.thechiaco.com.au/discover/chia-nutrition
~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment