Wednesday 19 June 2013

Planning & Preparation Tips

Let's face it, committing to eating healthy and avoiding processed foods does require planning and preparation and can be challenging in today's busy world. I take shortcuts where I can.


I use a bread machine to bake my own bread. They are quite easy to use once you get the hang of it and I know exactly what's in my bread. A slow cooker is also an easy and mess-free way to do a weekly roast. Just pop it on in the morning and leave it all day. I do a roast large enough for a meal and to have cold roast meat for lunches through the week. Or sometimes I just buy an already roasted chook from the supermarket. A rice cooker is another handy gadget as you can just put it on and leave it to cook while you get on with other things. I often cook up a batch of quinoa in my rice cooker and store it in the fridge to use over a few days.  Sometimes I cook rice in it too!  When preparing dinner I will often cook a little extra rice or potato or chop some extra veggies to use for lunch the next day.

I pack a salad every day for lunch at work. I start with a base of mixed leafy greens (pre-packed bags from the supermarket are handy for this) and then get creative and mix it up every day. I toss in things like:

cucumber
tomatoes - cherry or grape tomatoes when they are not too expensive
sprouts - easy to grow yourself by a kitchen window
snow peas or fresh beans
broccoli or cauliflower
carrot
asparagus
brussel sprouts - they are actually OK raw in a salad - halve or quarter them
avocado
mushrooms
corn kernels - small tins are handy
fruit: cherries, mango, pineapple, apple
left over cooked onion
left over stir fry veggies

Some carbs . . .
canned chick peas
canned mixed beans
brown rice
quinoa

Some protein . . .
boiled eggs - I boil up enough for a few days and keep in the fridge
cold roast meat
tuna, salmon or sardines
nuts - walnuts, cashews, pistachios
goat's cheese

Also . . .
sesame, pumpkin or sunflower seeds
dried or fresh herbs

Some dressing . . .
olive oil
olive oil and lemon juice (fresh)
olive oil, mustard & apple cider vinegar
home made mayonnaise / aioli
home made pesto





Even with great planning sometimes I get caught out somewhere longer than expected.

 
For emergencies such as these, so that I don't have to resort to junk food if my tummy starts to rumble, I carry in my handbag a small container of nuts and a gluten-free muesli bar, and I will always have my water bottle!
 
~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment