Tuesday 23 July 2013

Information: Lemon Water

When contemplating doing the detox program one of the things I would have to give up was coffee.  What?! I couldn't ever give up my morning coffee, could I?  Getting a bit desperate however to find a way to not have to deal with the migraines anymore I was determined to give this program a real go, and if I was going to do it, I wanted to get the maximum benefit from it. So I kicked the morning coffee habit and took up a new one -lemon water!


Lemon Water helps to cleanse your liver and kidneys, kick start your metabolism and aids weight loss, improves digestion and skin clarity, helps to regulate blood pressure and much more - see the further reading links below.

To make, add the juice of half a lemon to a cup of warm water.  Don't add the lemon juice to boiling water as this will kill the vitamin C.  I usually fill my cup about 2/3 full of boiling water then top up with cold water from the fridge before adding the lemon juice. 

For maximum benefit lemon water should be consumed first thing in the morning at least 20 minutes before eating.

I often add fresh lemon to my green tea too for flavour and for the extra vitamin C boost.  Again to obtain the full benefit of the vitamin C I allow the tea to draw then top up with a little cold water before adding the lemon juice.

Vitamin C is not stored by the body so I figure between a morning lemon water and a couple of cups of tea a day I'm giving myself a regular dose of it in addition to three healthy meals a day.

Sources/Further reading:
5 Amazing Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water by Linnea Jensen:
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8354/5-amazing-benefits-of-drinking-lemon-water.html
The Amazing Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water by Ann Heustad:
http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/lemon%20water.htm

And if you'd like to know why you should cut back on Coffee -
Is Coffee Your Drug of Choice? by Sally Joseph
http://www.sallyjoseph.com.au/blog/is-coffee-your-drug-of-choice-2/


 




~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment