Thursday 25 July 2013

Making It From Scratch: Aioli

Aioli used to be a mysterious delicious sauce that I only came across at cafes.  Finally one day I decided to "Google it".  I found a recipe, decided to give it a try and discovered that it is not difficult to make.  Now I make it every week instead of buying mayonnaise and can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes!


You can make it by hand with a whisk or in a food processor.

Ingredients:
1 egg yolk
1 Tbspn Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of salt
1/2 to 1 cup olive oil
2 tspns water
fresh lemon juice (or lime juice) to taste
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
In a bowl (or food processor) whisk together egg yolk, mustard and a pinch of salt.
Add garlic and continue to whisk.
Drizzle in olive oil at a slow pace continuing to whisk.  Whisk for about 5 minutes to combine well.
Slowly add the water while whisking to add consistency while it thickens.
Add drops of lemon juice to taste
Add salt and pepper to taste.
I sometimes add some dried mixed herbs as well.
Refrigerate to set until needed.
Enjoy!


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment