Tuesday 29 April 2014

A Peek At A Day In My Food Life

This evening was a particularly productive evening because the rest of the family was still out for a couple of hours after I got home from work, but this is fairly typical of my daily routine.  First let's flash back to this morning...

I started the day with a lemon water - 500 ml warm water with the juice of a whole lemon.

I drank a further 2 litres of water throughout the rest of the day.

For breakfast I had porridge made from rolled oats, oat bran, chia seed, goji berries, and macadamia nuts fermented overnight in water and natural yoghurt as recommended by the Weston A Price Foundation's "Healthy 4 Life" dietary guidelines brochure.  I topped the porridge with sliced banana, cherries, homemade nut milk (whizzed up in my blender last night) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

For a mid-morning snack I had a slice of my homemade sourdough bread, toasted and spread with tahini and a little honey.

For lunch I had a salad made from lots of mixed leafy greens, some chopped leftover beef rissoles, leftover fried onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado and dressing made from mustard, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.


For an after-work snack I had a "green smoothie" made with baby kale leaves, celery, cucumber, frozen banana, frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries & blueberries), almond butter, raw cacao powder, pure maple syrup, coconut water and coconut oil.

I then watered the veggie seedlings I purchased at the weekend and plan to plant out next weekend.

Next I put on a batch of sourdough in my bread machine.  I had mixed the sourdough last night as it needs to ferment for 18-24 hours.  For this batch I used organic wholemeal spelt flour.

Then I made salads for lunches tomorrow including whipping up a batch of mayonnaise.

My husband got leftover chicken from a roast I cooked on Sunday, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, boiled eggs, cheese and carrot strings with a small tub of homemade mayonnaise.

My daughter got mixed leafy greens, chopped leftover beef rissoles, tomato, and carrot strings and a small tub of homemade mayonnaise.

I got mixed leafy greens, chopped boiled eggs, cucumber, walnuts, sesame seeds, carrot strings, avocado, a few snow pea sprouts harvested from a batch growing on my kitchen window sill, and a small tub of homemade mayonnaise.

For dinner I prepared rump steak with jacket potatoes and a side salad of mixed leafy greens and tomato wedges.  I cooked the steak on the BBQ and served it with gravy made with stock/meat juices saved and frozen from a slow-cooked beef roast.  We had real butter with our jacket potato.  

The veggie scraps all went into my compost bin and now I'm going to bed.


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment