Tuesday 8 April 2014

People Who Have Inspired Me: Dee McCaffrey

Dee McCaffrey is the author of "The Science Of Skinny".
I have been gleaning nutritional information from a number of sources for a while now but this book has a lot of great information packed into one place!

There are a couple of spots in the book that got a little too scientific on me, but mostly there are very clear explanations of the effect that different foods has on the body making it easy to understand why it's good to eat certain foods and why certain "foods" should be avoided. (When you read the book you will understand why I used quotation marks around the word "foods" here.)

Dee is well qualified to give us this advice. She begins the book by telling her own story of how she fell into emotional eating and wound up being obese, and she explains how she turned that around to lose her excess weight and keep it off for the past twenty years.  She is a qualified chemist, nutritionist, health coach and co-founder of Processed Free America.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, fat, thin or in between, because optimal health is not just about being skinny.  This book teaches how to help your body function the way it was designed to.

The Science of Skinny gives you the inside information on all those strange food additives which will change the way you look at processed foods.  You will learn why refined sugar and refined flour are your enemies.  You will learn why you should avoid unfermented soy products.  You will learn a lot about fats and oils, why we need fats in our diet, which ones to use and which ones to avoid.

The Science of Skinny provides comprehensive information about the health benefits and disease-fighting qualities of a number of foods.  Knowing this information makes eating a healthy diet so much easier because you understand the benefits!

The Science of Skinny also includes an eating plan and recipes to help you get started.

It seems that it often takes a health crisis for people to get serious about overhauling their diet, like me with my migraines and Dee with her obesity. Those of you who know me personally know that I have always been fairly skinny, although there was a time when I weighed 13kg more than I do now. So for me this journey is about inner health, but I do believe that if you get that right then everything else will fall into place, including losing excess weight if that's what you need.  From my own experience it is definitely not only about eating more of the good stuff, but it is about what you don't eat as well.  Forget those "sometimes foods" and find yourself healthier alternatives that you love to indulge in!

The Science of Skinny is available as an ebook from iTunes, Google Books or Kindle

The paperback version is harder to find.  None of my local bookstores had it in stock but were willing to order it in.  Or you can order it yourself from their online stores.

~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment