Wednesday 16 October 2013

Banana Berry Belly Pleaser

I've been eating porridge for breakfast for months.  Different kinds of porridge:  quinoa, barley, steel cut oats or rolled rice.  I love them all topped with some of my coconut yoghurt and fruit.

Recently I went looking for something easy to prepare that doesn't need cooking.  This is a delicious, gluten free combo I have come up with that leaves my tummy feeling really good - satisfied and content.


I remember when I did my initial detox commenting to someone that my stomach felt like it does when it's empty but I just don't feel hungry. This I believe was due to the absence of gluten in my diet, another thing that I cut out whilst on the detox program.  After two months I did return to having gluten but I limit this now, especially from wheat-based foods.  When you think about it the typical Western Diet does include a whole lot of gluten as Sally Joseph explains in this article.

So getting back to my Banana Berry Belly Pleaser . . .corny name I know, but "Just Right" was already taken!

This is what I put in:

A handful raw macadamia nut halves
A handful of goji berries
2 tablespoons puffed millet
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon chia seed
1 tablespoon LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seed and almonds)
1 banana chopped
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
A sprinkle of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and add your choice of milk.  I used almond milk.



[Nutritional information]
Macadamia nuts: an excellent source of minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc.  Also a source of protein, fibre, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and rich in B vitamins.
Goji berries:  high antioxidant properties, all essential amino acids and many vitamins and minerals.
Millet:  a good source of manganese, phosphorus and magnesium.
Sunflower seeds:  also a rich source of the antioxidant vitamin E good for heart and skin health. Also a source of calcium and magnesium.
Chia seed:  considered by many to be nature's perfect food. A great source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, protein, fibre, magnesium, calcium and antioxidants.
Linseed:  high in fibre and omega 3 fatty acids.
Almonds:  rich source of the antioxidant vitamin E, calcium and good fats to help you feel full.
Banana:  good source of potassium, fibre, vitamin C and B6.
Blueberries:  Richest of all fruits in antioxidant compounds which protect against cancers and several other diseases.
Cinnamon:  a good source of calcium.  Also an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial spice that can help relieve bloating, heartburn and offer protection against strokes.

Sources:
100 Best Health Foods, Parragon Books Ltd
The Earth Diet by Liana Werner-Gray
Top Ten  Superfoods, Vivapura LL
www.whfoods.org


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment