Wednesday 7 August 2013

Herbs 'n Stuff

Avoiding processed and packaged foods creates a real challenge to find quick healthy flavoursome alternatives.  So I find myself having to learn how to use a lot more fresh herbs and spices.  This recipe has become a family favourite.  I must admit I was a bit cautious at first about so much coriander, but it's a delicious combination!   This recipe comes from the Clean Eating App.


Chicken Breast with Fresh Salsa, Roasted Sweet Potato and Salad

Ingredients:
2 x 180gm Chicken Breasts, halved lengthways
1/2 teaspoon Coconut Oil
1 x Whole Truss Tomato, diced
1/2 Spanish (purple) Onion, diced
1/2 bunch Coriander, chopped finely
1x Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1x clove Garlic, Crushed
Sprinkle Himalayan Rock Salt
Sprinkle of Cracked Pepper
1x small Sweet Potato, peeled and sliced into 1.5 inch rings
Serving of your favourite salad mix

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 180C (350F).  Rub each piece of Sweet Potato with a little coconut oil and place on an oven tray.
2. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and bake for approx 30-40 mins, turning once after about 20-25 mins.
3. Place remaining coconut oil in a fry pan and heat.  Place chicken breast in, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook both sides. (Be careful not to overcook as chicken will become tough).
4.  In another bowl place tomato, onion, garlic, olive oil and coriander along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
5. Once chicken is cooked place on a plate next to your salad and sweet potato and top the chicken with the salsa.  Serves 2.


 
Here I have substituted spring onions for the Spanish onion and, for a speedier version, I have replaced the baked sweet potato with potatoes cooked in their jackets on my microwave baked potato setting.

Tip:  make extra salsa and use it to add flavour to a salad for lunch the next day.
 

~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.





No comments:

Post a Comment