Friday 30 August 2013

Zucchini Macaroni

If I find myself home alone for a meal I tend to experiment . . .

I have seen on other blogs people using zucchini to make "pasta".  They usually use a fancy tool called a spiralizer to cut it into lovely noodle-like shapes.  I don't have one of those gadgets.  I do however have a Genius Nicer Dicer Plus (also known as my chopping gadget) which is great for chopping vegetables.




 I used this to cut my zucchini into small macaroni-sized pieces.




Then I stir-fried the zucchini macaroni in a little coconut oil.




Added some pre-cooked gluten-free grains I had in the fridge.  I used Rice Plus which is a blend of brown long grain rice, white and red basmati rice and black rice, white quinoa, buckwheat, millet and black sesame seeds. I heated this through.




Then I used my chopping gadget again to dice some tomatoes...




and placed the zucchini and grain mixture in a bowl, added the diced tomato, mixed it all together with some Savoury Yeast Flakes*, topped with some cracked pepper and voila!




This was quite delicious!

*Savoury Yeast Flakes is the Australian name for Nutritional Yeast Flakes.  It is a deactivated yeast product that is a natural source of most of the B Group vitamins.  Some brands may be fortified with B12 which is only found naturally in animal products.  It has a cheesy flavour.




Further Reading: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html


~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment