Wednesday 16 July 2014

Eating Processed-Free in a Busy World

Eating a processed-free diet has made such a difference to my life that I don't want to go back.  At times this has seemed like a daunting mission, but it has become easier.  I found that the more my body became used to me eating fresh nutrient-dense foods, the more I would crave those fresh nutrient-dense foods and lose interest in everything else.

I have had to sacrifice a fair bit of convenience, but I am doing my best to find shortcuts to manage eating processed-free whilst looking after my family and working full time, and that's part of what this blog is about, sharing the simplest and easiest ways I find to do this.


Here are my top ten tips:

Be committed to the task.  I made a pledge to myself to never again eat anything that would not provide my body with good nutrition.

Plan a menu for the week and do a weekly shop to be well prepared with ingredients on hand.  I use a smartphone App called "Out of Milk" to plan my menu for the week and store a shopping list.  Always be thinking ahead.  "What will I make for dinner tomorrow? What will we have for lunch tomorrow?  Where are we going tomorrow and will I need to pack snacks?

Always cook extra so that there are leftovers to use for work lunches the next day or to throw together a quick nutritious dinner.

Get some good kitchen gadgets.  These are some of my favourites: bread machine, blender, food processor, slow cooker, rice cooker, Genius Nicer Dicer Plus, hand juicer, carrot stringer, various-sized air-tight containers, cooler bags and ice packs for transportation of perishable snacks.

Carry backup snacks.  I like to keep a small container of raw nuts in my handbag for an emergency snack.

Always carry a water bottle.  Drink up between meals and aim to drink 2-3 litres every day.

Collect some good recipes.  Things like homemade mayonnaisesalad dressings and sauces, slow-cooked roasts and casseroles and some healthy sweet treats too.  Check out The Inspiration Spot.

Have a baking day on the weekend to stock up on things like hard-boiled eggs, bread, rice or quinoa.  Cook a roast big enough to provide leftovers for your workday lunch salads.  Rissoles made from beef, chicken or turkey mince are also good to add to a salad.  

Use your freezer to stock up on things like homemade bread, homemade pesto, fresh herbs, lemon or lime juice, bananas and berries for smoothies, homemade ice-cream, and stock and meat juices for making soup and gravy.

Keep your pantry stocked with things like organic tomato paste, cans of chickpeas, kidney beans, or mixed beans, canned fish (choose wild/ocean caught, not farmed), dried herbs and spices, organic mustard, coconut aminos, unrefined cold pressed coconut oil, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar, unrefined sea salt or Himalayan rock salt, alternatives to refined sugar (stevia, xilotyl, pure maple syrup, molasses, Manuka honey),  a variety of raw nuts, nut butters and seed pastes, tahini, chia seed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, LSA, dates, goji berries and cacao.



~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~
 
This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment