Thursday 12 October 2017

"Disease is a Process of Unmet Needs"

I'm a subscriber of Whole Life Nutrition, an initiative of Tom Maltere & Alissa Segersten that combines the latest in nutritional science and whole foods cooking. You can learn more about them here.

In one of their email communications, Tom Maltere, a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, described Functional Medicine Practitioners as "teachers of the idea that disease is a process of unmet needs."
 

That statement really resonated with me as I reflected on my own health journey. 

Completely free of migraines now for just over four years I can now see clearly how I got here. In a nutshell it's been about being highly nourished - getting the blockers out, and putting good stuff in!

Early in my journey I made a commitment to myself to only eat foods that would give my body great nourishment. This meant cutting out all processed and refined foods and seeking out the best quality fresh, organic and locally grown/raised foods where practical. I stopped wasting my appetite on foods with little or no nutritional value. I believe this has nourished my body and given it the tools it needed to function the way it was designed to.

God didn't get it wrong. As well as our amazing bodies He created for us perfect food sources to provide for our nourishment and health, and when we consume these foods in as natural a state as possible - picked ripe and fresh, free from pesticides and genetic modification - our bodies respond and begin to heal!  


What is functional medicine?
From the Institute of Functional Medicine website:  "Functional medicine asks how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual."

Blockers can be food additives, food intolerances, chemicals in makeup, personal care and cleaning products and also medications.  Related posts:
~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~
This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment