Friday 8 November 2013

Migraine Management

In my "Twelve Months On" update I announced that I am now free of the migraines which had plagued me and which were the catalyst for the health journey that I am now sharing with you.  In previous posts I've touched on things that I've been doing but I thought that I should summarise in a bit more detail the things I've learned and am continuing to focus on to stay migraine free because, not only am I not experiencing the menstrual migraines any more, I've not had any sort of headache for some time now.  I can't really remember the last time I reached for the Nurafen, which is fantastic!

So this is what I do:


Start each day with a lemon water to help cleanse my liver of impurities and prevent a build up of toxins.

Drink 2-3 litres of water every day spread throughout the day to stay well hydrated (more in very hot/humid weather or if exercising or working outside)

"The brain comprises 2% of the body's total weight and receives 15-20% of the blood supply. . . and most of this is water.  It has been proven that being dehydrated rapidly decreases cognitive ability and can also lead to depression.  Put it this way - the brain needs water.  It's why you get a headache when you're dehydrated."  ~ Ross Bridgeford, Director of energiseforlife.com

Focus on a nutrient dense, whole foods, mostly plants diet to keep my system in an alkaline state, for good general health, energy and vitality.

"Eating a more alkaline diet of vegetables and less acidic foods such as animal proteins does effect and benefit the body and the acid-base balance in the body."  ~ Ross Bridgeford, Director of energiseforlife.com

Consume foods containing Magnesium

"A diet high in magnesium may help to prevent all kinds of migraines, but the mineral seems to be particularly valuable for women who get menstrual migraines.  The best foods for magnesium include spinach, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, Swiss chard, fresh amaranth, quinoa, sunflower seeds, brown rice and whole grains."  ~ Joy Bauer

Consume healthy fats like omega 3 fatty acids and olive oil

"Healthy fats in your diet may help reduce inflammation, which is thought to exacerbate migraine pain.  Omega 3 fatty acids and the monounsaturated fats found in olive oil have both been shown to reduce the frequency, duration, and severity of headaches."  ~ Joy Bauer

Enjoy a daily green smoothie (or vegetable juice) again to maintain an alkaline state in my body.  I use celery as a regular ingredient and I reckon this is the best way to eat celery because you can't really taste it.

(Celery) "helps reduce frequency and severity of migraines"  ~ The Earth Diet

Stay away from artificial hormones from the pill and commercially produced meats and dairy products.

"Conventionally raised meat and dairy products are a major source of hormones that will only exacerbate the problem.  Go grass-fed, free-range, and organic.  Also eat foods which will naturally help to balance (your natural) hormones ie Maca and avocado.  Avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol, all which disturb your blood sugar balance, crucial to balancing your hormones." And avoid soy "It behaves like excess estrogen to your hormonal system." ~  Elle Griffin

Sources:
The Benefits of Lemon Water by Dee McCaffrey, FDF\
This Single Mistake is the Most Damaging Thing for your Health Ross Bridgeford, Director of energiseforlife.com
Ditch Your Birth Control by Elle Griffin, Fertility and Wellness Coach
Joybauer.com Food Cures
The Earth Diet www.theearthdiet.com
~ take every opportunity to put the good stuff in ~

This blog is about me, what I'm doing, what's working for me, and what's not. It includes my experiences and opinions. It is for general information only and is in no way intended to replace the advice of a health care professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment